What does flood insurance cover

Floods cause a devastating amount of damage every year in the United States. Texas has been hit by major flooding, and hurricane Harvey in 2017 comes to mind. Many people mistakenly believe that home insurance provides flood coverage, it doesn’t, and neither does renters insurance. As little as one inch of floodwater in your home can cause up to $25,000 in damage. If you don’t have flood insurance, you will be doing those repairs on your own. It could take a long time to come up with the money, or you will need to borrow the money. Neither option is particularly attractive. At Atzenhoffer Insurance Agency in Victoria, TX, we have a deep history in this town, and our customers are part of the Atzenhoffer family. 

Flood insurance is managed by FEMA ( Federal Emergency Management Agency) and is delivered to the public through NFIP (National Flood Insurance Program). You can purchase it directly from NFIP or through about 50 insurance carriers. Your policy will be rated by your risk level. You must, however, be in a community that is part of the NFIP program. Flood insurance comes in two parts, and they are sold individually. You can choose to have one or both. One part covers the building, and one part covers the content. 


The building portion covers the actual structure and the foundation. It also includes the stairs, kitchen cabinets, built-in bookcases, and major appliances like dishwasher, stove, and refrigerator. It includes the electrical, plumbing, water heater, furnace, central air conditioning, and well water tank. 


The contents are all the personal items like your furniture, small kitchen appliances, washer and dryer, decor, toys, electronics, clothing, and shoes.  

With changing weather patterns and rising waters, flooding has become an ever-present danger. At Atzenhoffer Insurance Agency in Victoria, TX, we would like to talk to you about the benefits of flood insurance. Call us or stop into our office and let you give you a no-obligation quote.